Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Empty Out Your Pockets

Sometimes I forget how unusually disdainful I am. Matt and I went to an estate sale on Sunday in a small town near us. The old victorian home had been owned by an older widow and her children and grandchildren were facilitating the sale.

First, I was annoyed at how much of a rag-tag operation it was since nothing was priced and it was a haggle for every old porcelain dish. I got over that pretty quick though when I got some silverware for 10 cents a pop since I told her I would buy them all.

Next, I was browsing the deceased woman's amazing collection of cardigans when I came across some odd looking ties. They were all tied, as if they had just been loosened from around a neck and then neatly hung together on a hanger. I looked at the yellowed tag that attached them all and read in tiny cursive "These were grandpa's ties."

I wanted to grab them and show them to the woman's children/grandchildren and say "Didn't you see this? These were your grandpa's! He tied these knots! She wanted you to know" Then of course I realized they were the ones liquidating all of their mother's belongings at a dime a piece. Akward...

My next thought was to buy them but the idea of haggling over these still-tied ties that this woman obviously wanted someone to remember made me sick. I know we can't keep everything and it is just stuff, but I'm still trying to figure these things out.

Meanwhile, here is a set that I arranged from the silverware I bought:


Now you can all be disdainful of me. I'll allow it.

7 comments:

Reido Bandito said...

I remain dainful of you.

Job 77 said...

I once knew someone who made a crazy quilt with a stash of vintage silk ties.

Amanda said...

you can also make fantastic scarves from old ties!

Holli said...

Trumond's collar is made (in Portland) out of an old tie.

Laurel said...

a lovely perspective.
i adore the paring of that print with the silver. well-harmonized.
how are the baby chickens?

IT Houston said...

I hope you milk the shit outa my stuff when I die! All I ask is you share a bottle of good scotch over my grave. Which will be anywhere along the coast because I want to be cremated and shot out of a cannon over the kick ass party going on underneath into the ocean. But first you have to lay my body on a pool table in a dive bar and sing songs!

ethan said...

have you listened to a recent episode of this american life entitled "House on Loon Lake"? It is semi-relevant to your ties. and an awesome story.