Thursday, July 26, 2012

This Baby, MY Baby

Forgive the obligatory relections of a new parent. I'm pretty sure they are required because I can't stop them from clouding my mind. It's all Coral all the time over here.

This baby that is somehow mine, has a bright future. I have big plans for her, BIG PLANS. Am I fulfilling my dreams through her? Maybe. But that's why I live in a country that doesn't limit how many children you can have. I have potentially limitless fodder for my unfulfilled dreams. Coral will be a linguist, the next will be a astronaut/Tie fighter pilot, the next an abstract painter, the next a hobby farmer, the next will marry the lead singer of a really depressing band, and so on and so forth. Somewhere down the line there will be a vampire slayer if needed.

It's really great though and terrifying to be the one to decide what to equip this small human with for her life. I have Spanish and French on the list. Camping and Karate. Possibly bee keeping but that might have to wait until the next child. I spend so much time thinking about how to make her life more promising and fulfilling and then it hits me that my parents did the same thing with me but I didn't seem to take much notice. No matter what kind of veggies you start them off with, or what soaps you use on their sensitive skin, they still are the ones that have to make their own way 90% of the time. OK 100% in a few years. Coral has been the one to decide to sleep through the night, and jump around in her crib at 8 months. She is the one that sings like a baby Wookie and claws anyones eyes that dares to get close enough. She is already choosing who she is and after the paint chips that she peeled off the kitchen wall and ate today, it's only going to get worse, I mean better, better!

She is great and I will never be the same because of who she is becoming. That's as far as I've gotten. Maybe that's far enough.

3 comments:

Shelley L. Houston said...

My Baby loves this Baby, and so on. A joyful progression.

Val said...

"Did you eat paint chips as a kid"=) Ha, ha! Miss you guys we really need to make a trip to Oregon!

Job 77 said...

Great to have you back blogging! I love reading your thoughts. Great thoughts here--made me think as I go about signing my kids up for summer camps for enrichment. Although the bigger reason is for my own sanity--haha!